UPSC Civil Services 2023 Syllabus PDF – Prelims Exam Pattern]
UPSC Civil Services 2023 Syllabus PDF
UPSC Civil Services Exam Syllabus Pdf Download: Union Public Service Commission will be going to conduct the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2023 on 28.05.2023. The Examination will be held at the various centres. Applications are now invited for the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination only. So, Applied Candidates must refer the Prelims Syllabus and Exam Pattern from our website.
UPSC Civil Services Syllabus 2023 Pdf Download
|Name of the Board||Union Public Service Commission|
|Exam Name||Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination 2023|
|Selection Process||Prelims, Mains & Interview|
UPSC Civil Services 2023: Plan of Examination
The Civil Services Examination will consist of two successive stages (vide Appendix I Section-I)
- Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination (Objective type) for the selection of candidates for the Main Examination; and
- Civil Services (Main) Examination (Written and Interview) for the selection of candidates for the various Services and posts noted above.
The Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination will consist of two papers of Objective type (multiple choice questions) and carry a maximum of 400 marks in the subjects set out in sub-section (A) of Section II.
This examination is meant to serve as a screening test only.
The Examination shall comprise of two compulsory Papers of 200 marks each.
- Both the question papers will be of the objective type (multiple choice questions) and each will be of two hours duration.
- The General Studies Paper-II of the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination will be a qualifying paper with minimum qualifying marks fixed at 33%.
- The question papers will be set both in Hindi and English.
- Details of the syllabi are indicated in Part A of Section III.
The Written Examination will consist of the following papers:—
|Paper-A: (One of the Indian Language to be selected by the candidate from the Languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution).||300 Marks|
|Paper-B English||300 Marks|
|Papers to be counted for merit : Paper-I Essay||250 Marks|
|Paper-II General Studies-I (Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society)||250 Mark|
|Paper-III General Studies –II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)||250 Mark|
|Paper-IV General Studies –III (Technology, Economic Development, Bio-diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)||250 Marks|
|Paper-V General Studies –IV (Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude)||250 Marks|
|Paper-VI Optional Subject – Paper 1||250 Marks|
|Paper-VII Optional Subject – Paper 2||250 Marks|
|Sub Total (Written test)||1750 Marks|
|Personality Test||275 Marks|
|Grand Total||2025 Marks|
UPSC Civil Services 2023 Syllabus Prelims:
Part A — Preliminary Examination
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance-Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development-Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science.
Paper II-(200 marks)
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability;
- Decision making and problem solving;
- General mental ability;
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. — Class X level);
Part B—Main Examination:
- Syllabi of the papers included in the scheme of Civil Services (Main) Examination are given as follows :—
- The aim of the paper is to test the candidates’ ability to read and understand serious discursive prose, and to express ideas clearly and correctly, in English and Indian language concerned.
The pattern of questions would be broadly as follows:
- Comprehension of given passages.
- Precis Writing.
- Usage and Vocabulary.
- Short Essays
Indian Languages :—
- comprehension of given passages.
- Precis Writing.
- Usage and Vocabulary.
- Short Essays.
- Translation from English to the Indian Language and vice-versa.
Essay: Candidates may be required to write essays on multiple topics. They will be expected to keep closely to the subject of the essay to arrange their ideas in orderly fashion, and to write concisely. Credit will be given for effective and exact expression.
General Studies-I: Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society.
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
- The Freedom Struggle — its various stages and important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country.
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
- History of the world will include events from 18th century such as industrial revolution, world wars, redrawal of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization, political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc.— their forms and effect on the society.
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Effects of globalization on Indian society.
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
- Salient features of world’s physical geography.
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian subcontinent); factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India).
- Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc., geographical features and their location-changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
Selection will be based on Prelims, Mains and Interview.
Union Public Service Commission will be going to conduct the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2023 on 28.05.2023.
Candidates can download UPSC Civil Service Exam Syllabus 2023 from our website.