Skip to content
Daily Current Affairs 18th March 2023: Key Events and News
A Scheme to improve the nutritional status of pregnant women
- The government has approved MWCD’s integrated nutrition program “Saksham Anganwadi and Poshan 2.0” during the 15th Finance Commission period 2021-22 and 2025-26.
- Children, pregnant women and lactating mothers benefit under this scheme. This was given in written form by the Minister of Women and Child Development Mrs. Smriti Zubin Irani in the Lok Sabha.
Mega textile parks in 7 states including Tamil Nadu
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced that mega textile parks will be set up in 7 states including Tamil Nadu. Textile parks will be set up in the states of Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
- These mega textile parks help in strengthening the textile sector. He also said that it will provide state-of-the-art infrastructure for the textile industry.
Delhi Airport has received the award for the Best Airport in South Asia
- Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) has been named the best airport in India and South Asia for the fifth time in a row. IGIA’s operating agency Delhi Airport International Limited (DIAL) informed this.
- This airport is rated 4 stars. DIAL has selected it based on customer experience and all factors including arrivals, transfers, security.
2023-World’s Best Places List Released
- The Times magazine has released its list of the world’s best places for 2023. The list includes Tampa, Florida, Willamette Valley, Oregon, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico, Tucson, Arizona, Yosemite National Park, California, Bozeman, Montana, Washington DC, France, Vancouver, Manitoba Church in Vancouver.
- India’s Ladakh and Mayurbhanj are also included in this list.
Electric trains run for the first time in Meghalaya
- Mendipathar is a railway station in the northeastern state of Meghalaya, inaugurated by the Prime Minister and operational since 2014. Trains hauled by electric locomotives can now run directly from Mendipathar in Meghalaya.
- Electric trains increasing the average speed of the train. It enables carrying passengers and goods to run faster and switching from fossil fuels to electricity reduces environmental pollution.
TCS appoints K. Keerthivasan as CEO
- As the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of IT company Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), K. Kirthivasan has been appointed.
- Krithivasan is currently the Global Head of the Banking, Financial Services and Insurance (BFSI) business head of the company.
Parvati appointed as UN Coordinator for Tajikistan
- India’s Kavilmadam Ramasamy Parvati has been appointed as the United Nations Coordinator for Tajikistan by UN Secretary General Qatar.
- She was previously a member of the UN. She played an important role in the World Food Program in countries like Turkey and Afghanistan.
RBI’s Shaktikanta Das received the ‘Governor of the Year’ award
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said that RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das has received the ‘Governor of the Year’ award for the year 2023 from the international publication Central Bank, making the country proud.
- The award honors Mr Das for his leadership of the financial markets during the paralyzing periods of the Covid-19 pandemic and the war in Ukraine.
Silver medal for Tamil Nadu team in the national archery competition
- The 42nd National Senior Archery Tournament is underway in Kevadia, Gujarat. In the national recurve category, the Tamil Nadu team consisting of Kamana Jain, Aishwarya, Sinegavarshini and Hanan gave a strong performance in the semi-final with the score of 6-0.
- Followed this, the Tamil Nadu team won the silver medal. “This is the first time that the Tamil Nadu women’s team has won a medal in the national recurve category,” said Shihan Hussaini, secretary of the Tamil Nadu Archery Association.
Global Recycling Day
- Global Recycling Day is celebrated every year on March 18, when recycling allows certain items to be reused multiple times.
- Newspapers, plastic water bottles, cereal boxes and milk cartons are some of the recyclable materials. Recycling is better for the environment.